LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOCOLATE....
Valentines Day is here and it’s a time to celebrate all those you love, both two and four-legged. But remember, when you’re snuggled up by the fire with your sweetheart, that those same gifts and treats that they love so much can cause a whole bunch of trouble for your pets. So how do I keep my pet safe around these potentially hazardous Valentines essentials? Well, all you need is love! (And these few simple tips from your friends at AMC Cascades)
Chocolate contains a group of chemicals called methylxanthines. These caffeine-like stimulants can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias and even seizures. A general rule is that the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is – so baker’s chocolate is worse than dark chocolate, which is worse than milk chocolate, and so on.
But don’t even think about heading home without some chocolate in tow or you might be greeted by a decidedly unhappy spouse or significant other! Instead make sure to keep chocolate well out of reach of wandering paws and snouts. If your pet ingests any, call your veterinarian or a poison control hotline as soon as you can for further instructions.
Flowers are a universal sign of affection and staple of V-Day. As you can imagine, ingestion of almost any flower can cause mild gastrointestinal distress. However, there are certain types that can cause even more damaging conditions.
When eaten by cats, lilies can cause acute kidney failure, an emergency and often fatal condition where the kidneys suddenly shut down and waste products build up quickly in the blood stream. Roses can also be a thorn in your side. The thorns on the stems can poke their mouth if bitten, causing an infection. If swallowed they can get lodged in the throat or even puncture the lining of the stomach and intestines causing all sorts of trouble.
To avoid these botanical missteps, make sure flowers are kept in pet-free areas. If sending flowers to a pet owner, consider bouquets with only pet-friendly varieties. A quick internet search can find libraries of pet-safe flowers that you and your loved ones can enjoy without concern.
PLAYING WITH FIRE
Nothing sets the mood like candle light. Just be careful where you set the flame. Paws, snouts and tails are like wick-magnets and a curious pooch or kitty may get a nasty burn or, even worse, knock a candle over and cause serious damage to your property.
COCK TAILS AND WAGGING TAILS
There is no need to cry over a spilled drink as long as you can clean it up before your furry friend starts wetting their whistle. A little bit of alcohol goes a long way in our tiny companions and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, depression, tremors, trouble breathing and even coma.
Keep alcoholic beverages out of reach of pets. Bottles should be kept in a safe place and never leave a full glass unattended. If your pet accidentally ingests alcohol, note how much they drank and what type it was, then call your veterinarian or poison control for further instructions.